I have always wondered why sometimes the people you expect to go out and make their films, often fail to keep to their word and make their film. They seem to have the talent and they seem to have the desire to do it. They often have been well trained. Yet, they keep procrastinating and finding excuses to delay the film making. I know some people I have expected amazing things from, who are always shooting next year. Everytime you meet them they tell you about the current roadblock, that has caused them to delay till next year.
Here are the usual Top 10 excuses
- I decided to get married
- I decided to have a child.
- I got a promotion in my job.
- We are not ready yet
- The script is not quite right.
- I need a few more months to get the money.
- I know if we hold back till Summer we will get the hot light.
- The summer is too wet and I think we should hold till the El Nino effect lifts
- I just want to take time to have everything perfect. Maybe in six months.
- I want to raise $10 million and get a star.
At International Film Base, we like to do our One Week Film School 2- 3 times per year as they absolutely prove that a group of beginners with no experience can make a good film in one week. We give them the one most important ingredient that ever film needs and this is why they succeed. Here is an example of one of the One Week Short Films called Pocket Change Its not perfect but it is really good for beginners who had only one week to create the story and cast and shoot the film. And you can bet your bottom dollar that they learnt an incredible amount in one week.
This Ingredient is called Absolute Conviction.
What this means is a certainty mentality and mindset that says no matter what happens, we are shooting our film. This is our Deadline and once in place, we will not stop till our film is complete and sold.